MetaLife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Statistics
Latest topics
» List of weapons approved (after test)
Weapon Damage tables EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 pm by 7Sins Admin

» MetaLife FAQ
Weapon Damage tables EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am by 7Sins Admin

» MetaLife License
Weapon Damage tables EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 am by 7Sins Admin

» MetaLife Feature List, version 1.21
Weapon Damage tables EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:19 am by 7Sins Admin

» NEU MetaLIfe 2 Bedienungsanleitung (deutsch)
Weapon Damage tables EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:56 am by 7Sins Admin

» NOUVEAU MetaLife2 manuel d'instruction (français)
Weapon Damage tables EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 am by 7Sins Admin

» NEW MetaLIfe 2 Manual (English)
Weapon Damage tables EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 am by 7Sins Admin

» NUOVO MetaLIfe 2 - manuale di istruzioni (italiano)
Weapon Damage tables EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 am by 7Sins Admin

» NUOVO - manuale di istruzioni (italiano)
Weapon Damage tables EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 am by 7Sins Admin

Weapon Damage tables

2 posters

Go down

Weapon Damage tables Empty Re: Weapon Damage tables

Post  woolyfsh Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Woops .. this is what happens when I post late at night. I made my weapons table post in the "Standard Controls for Attack Variants" topic. Oh well they are related .. so go there and read my post " woolyfsh Today at 2:03 am" figure that's better than cross-posting.

woolyfsh

Back to top Go down

Post  woolyfsh Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Hmm I will look at these as a start .. I think I will also dig up some old weapons gaming resources I have. I have been gaming since well ... the dark ages and I got lots of stuff that is no longer in print> I am gonna take a crack at this table and post it here for people to comment on.

woolyfsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Tala Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm posting here an excerpt from a proposition for the combat system, which has been posted in a SL discussion group by Alice McConnell. It's a basis for some general strategy, the damage values are kept deliberately vague. Note: in some places 'special' attacks are mentioned, which would be e.g. poison. By now poison is not yet implement, but will come with the next update ML 1.16 or so.

So, let's discuss this:

wrote:
The meter has 2 'stats': health and stamina. Health presents the (lack of) wounds, loss of blood, concussion, effects of poisoning, traps, etc. Stamina represents the reserves of energy and strength you have for swinging/thrusting, blocking etc. effectively, and (possibly) for running. Stamina regenerates quickly, health quite slowly (slower than, say, with most meters we see used today).

How meelee would work

Unlike the one combat move we have in our familiar combat system(s), I propose several different moves. These moves are heavily inspired by some non-gorean combat systems within SL. They can be activated by a simple combination of keys (and yep, this is quite possible). The actual moves etc. depend on the weapon type (and the corresponding animations should be supplied by the weapon creator through the weapon).

Combat moves (all depending on weapons stats, of course)
Normal attack: does damage and slight stamina damage
Block: mitigates all damage to health comming from the front. When blocking, you cannot move
Bash/kick: does no health damage but the impact hurts the stamina of the other party and it is slightly slower than a normal attack.
Charge: charges you forward, doing major health and stamina damage to someone in your path and pushing them backwards. This is a slow attack, and something should signal someone is starting it (like an animation).

The idea behind these moves is that they make for some sort of a rock-paper-scissors game, in which it comes down to guessing what the other will do and adjusting your own choice accordingly (but doing all that very quickly).

So, for example, if someone moved up close and just kept attacking wildly, you should be able to down them fairly easily by timing attacks and blocking so that all his attacks are countered by your blocks, while your attacks hit home. And if someone kept blocking all the time, it would be smart to bash/kick them a few times, and whack them when their stamina has ran out, and they can no longer block you effectively. But if you saw someone likely to kick you, it might be smart to attack them normally. If you saw someone standing still just waiting for you to get in range and swing at you, or blocking, it might be smart to charge them. If you saw someone using blocking and attacking well, it might be smart to dodge them to get behind their defenses. All of that would be further complicated by the different weapon properties, ranges, damage, etc.

Meelee:
1- handed
pin/needle: range: short, speed: fast, damage: low, stamina damage: low, stamina drain: low, blocking: none, special: optional poison damage
dagger/knife: range: short, speed: fast, damage: medium, stamina damage: low, stamina drain: low, blocking: none, special: none
short sword: range: short, speed: fast, damage: medium, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: medium, blocking: medium, special: none
normal sword: range: medium, speed: medium, damage: medium, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: medium, blocking: medium, special: none
long sword: range: above average, speed: bit slow, damage: normal, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: above average, blocking: medium, special: none
heavy/bastard sword: range: above average, speed: slow, damage: high, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: high, blocking: medium, special: none
stick/club: range: medium, speed: medium, damage: low, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: medium, blocking: medium, special: none
(war)mace: range: medium, speed: medium, damage: medium, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: high, blocking: normal, special: none
(war)mace: range: medium, speed: medium, damage: medium, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: high, blocking: normal, special: none
(war)axe: range: medium, speed: slow, damage: high, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: high, blocking: normal, special: none
1-handed spear: range: long, speed: slow, damage: medium, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: medium, blocking: medium, special: none
1-handed long spear/lance: range: very long, speed: very slow, damage: high, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: very high, blocking: none, special: none
whip: range: very long, speed: slow, damage: medium, stamina damage: low, stamina drain: high, blocking: none, special: none

2-handed
2 handed sword: range: above average, speed: below average, damage: high, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: high, blocking: medium, special: none
staff: range: long, speed: medium, damage: low, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: low, blocking: medium, special: none
2 handed Axe: range: medium, speed: slow, damage: very high, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: high, blocking: low, special: none
2 handed spear: range: long, speed: slow, damage: medium, stamina damage: medium, stamina drain: low, blocking: low, special: none
2 handed long-spear/lance: range: very long, speed: very slow, damage: high, stamina damage: high, stamina drain: high, blocking: none, special: none

Ranged
Unless mentioned otherwise, ranged weapons work like a bow: you take an arrow and set in on your bow's string by clicking the left mouse button, and you hold it until you have drawn your bow back fully. If you release it before it is fully drawn, the arrow will have less speed, and so travel less far or even fall down at your feet. If you move at that time, the arrow will be released.

There is no set maximum range for projectiles. If you fire them at maximum speed, and aim up, you will shoot furthest. If you are slightly higher than your target, you may reach the target still, when you would not have if the target was level with you. In short, the projectile behaves like a physical object (as do 'normal range' arrows, with our current combat system).

The famous 'splash' range may be reduced for projectile combat (it seems that right now, it cannot be done without, as SL is just not reliable when it comes to registering collission hits). Damage of projectile hits will likely have to be increased, relative to the amount they do right now. Significantly, probably. The rate of fire should be reduced significantly from what we are used to now. All this will have to be carefully balanced so as to make sure that bows and meelee weapons are balanced, each having their uses depending on the situation and tactics used.

Please note that 'high', 'long', 'slow' etc are discrete values relative to other ranged weapons. The fact that the projectile speed of a thrown spear is slow and that of a Peasant bow is very high does not mean that the arrow shot by the peasant bow is twice as fast as the thrown spear. Since projectile speed largely determines range (as in real life), projectile speed directly relates to the distance at which a weapon will be effective.

thrown dagger (1 handed): range: short, projectile speed: slow, damage: medium, rate of fire: fast, ammunition: 3, stamina drain: medium, special: can be used while moving, no drawing
thrown spear: (1 handed) range: short, projectile speed: slow, damage: high, rate of fire: NA, ammunition: 1, stamina drain: high, special: can be used while moving, no drawing
javelin/throwing spears (1-handed): range: short, projectile speed: slow, damage: medium, rate of fire: fast, ammunition: 5, stamina drain: medium, special: can be used while moving, no drawing
short bow: range: below average, projectile speed: below average, damage: below average, rate of fire: above average, ammunition: 30, stamina drain: low, special: none
normal bow: range: medium, projectile speed: medium, damage: medium, rate of fire: medium ammunition: 30, stamina drain: medium, special: none
longbow: range: long, projectile speed: fast, damage: medium, rate of fire: slow average, ammunition: 30, stamina drain: medium, special: none
peasant/huge bow: range: very long, projectile speed: very high, damage: high, rate of fire: slow, ammunition: 30, stamina drain: high, special: none
small crossbow (1 handed): range: long, projectile speed: high, damage: medium, rate of fire: very slow, ammunition: 40, stamina drain: medium, special: no drawing time, must stand still to wind up
crossbow: range: long, projectile speed: high, damage: high, rate of fire: very slow, ammunition: 40, stamina drain: medium, special: no drawing time, must stand still to wind up

Shields: Shields offer the 1-handed weapon user the benefit of effective blocking, especially against arrows and some stamina loss reduction when blocking with heavier shields. Their blocking attributes override the blocking attribute of any 1-handed weapon wielded in the other hand

small shield/buckler: blocking: medium, blocking blocks a modest % of arrow hits
normal shield: blocking high, slight stamina penalty (not sure how, yet), blocking blocks a good % of arrow hits
heavy/tower shield: blocking: very high, added bonus to a bash move, stamina penalty (not sure how, yet), blocking blocks a very high% of arrow hits.

Tala
Admin

http://metalife.powerrpg.net

Back to top Go down

Weapon Damage tables Empty Weapon Damage tables

Post  woolyfsh Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:00 am

I am looking to try and set up a baseline damage table for us when creating weapons. The aim here is to try and start with consistent figures for damage/speed/stamina combination to establish base weapon patterns. What do i mean by this? Well by setting a "baseline" for a variety of sword types, it would allow a little consistency in weapons behavior as seen by the users. But as a baseline, we can deviate from it for special attacks or for nuances of the particular weapon. By having a comprehensive list of weapons as developers we can make weapons that are basically consistent without crushing creativity. So for instance here are some base types of swords with some views as to standard ... to use swords as an example, these could be base types:

Short sword (roman gladius)
Long sword (viking sword, roman spatha)
2handed sword (flamberge, claymore)
Rapier
Foil
Cutlass

Idea here that lets say that I am making a cutlass. Ill start with the baseline stats, then adjust it from there a little bit .. say I want a very heavy cutlass. Point being .. all cutlasses will be similar.

Also another thing that can be added to this is guidelines for stamina damage for using some type of weapons. For instance, lets have a fight with sledge hammers. Just using the swinging the darn things would wear both warriors out.

Anyone have any work done already in this area?

woolyfsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down