MetaLife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Statistics
Latest topics
» List of weapons approved (after test)
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 pm by 7Sins Admin

» MetaLife FAQ
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am by 7Sins Admin

» MetaLife License
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 am by 7Sins Admin

» MetaLife Feature List, version 1.21
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:19 am by 7Sins Admin

» NEU MetaLIfe 2 Bedienungsanleitung (deutsch)
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:56 am by 7Sins Admin

» NOUVEAU MetaLife2 manuel d'instruction (français)
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 am by 7Sins Admin

» NEW MetaLIfe 2 Manual (English)
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 am by 7Sins Admin

» NUOVO MetaLIfe 2 - manuale di istruzioni (italiano)
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 am by 7Sins Admin

» NUOVO - manuale di istruzioni (italiano)
Suggestions for handling of shield&armour EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 am by 7Sins Admin

Suggestions for handling of shield&armour

4 posters

Go down

Suggestions for handling of shield&armour Empty Suggestions for handling of shield&armour

Post  Bartholomew Gallacher Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 am

Hello there,

after doing some tests with shield and armor, vulgo putting the scripts into modifyable prim hair and seeing if they work - they do - I suggest those features, since while the owner of that ML still has the disadvantages of the shield&armour, he has a big advantage - no one sees them, so people might be more attracted to attack him as if compared him wearing it openly:

• When a shield&armor is in action, the attacker should get an indication in the hit message that such thing is in action at his opponent, like "AOs shield blocked xx% of your attack.". This would be quite easy to implement, I guess, and make this really unpretty for the cheater.
  • Shield, Armor, Helmet should be optional, meaning there should be a setting for each such thing in the meter region server to en- or disable them.
  • Optional: fine tuning the impact of shield&armor in the meter region server, like the Stamina already, would be great.

Thanks for listening, keep up to the good work.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for handling of shield&armour Empty Re: Suggestions for handling of shield&armour

Post  Tala Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Bartholomew Gallacher wrote:Hello there,

after doing some tests with shield and armor, vulgo putting the scripts into modifyable prim hair and seeing if they work - they do - I suggest those features, since while the owner of that ML still has the disadvantages of the shield&armour, he has a big advantage - no one sees them, so people might be more attracted to attack him as if compared him wearing it openly:

• When a shield&armor is in action, the attacker should get an indication in the hit message that such thing is in action at his opponent, like "AOs shield blocked xx% of your attack.". This would be quite easy to implement, I guess, and make this really unpretty for the cheater.
  • Shield, Armor, Helmet should be optional, meaning there should be a setting for each such thing in the meter region server to en- or disable them.
  • Optional: fine tuning the impact of shield&armor in the meter region server, like the Stamina already, would be great.

Thanks for listening, keep up to the good work.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm not a fan of the idea of delivering hit indication messages to the attacker for two reasons: first, delivering a lot of chat causes lag, and since one cannot use IMs the scripts must do a lot of postprocessing/filtering - of course many bows have indeed a hit indication system, but adding one to the meter as well would effectively more than double the load. Second, in reality you would never know *exactly* how you have hit somebody but you only will have a vague idea - and this is indicated by the health bar over the head (yes I know you don't see it when you're too far away - again, this is quite realistic).

Now, I could offer two solutions to the shield/armour issue. One possibility is to extend the "look at" command so that is gives also information about worn shields etc. Another possibility is to add floating symbols over the head which indicate if amour, shields or helmets are worn. What do you think about this? Also, I wonder if invisible armour is *really* such a big problem.

Making shielding etc optional via sim settings and adding a parameters for fine tuning is a good idea. I'll implement that with the next server update.

Tala
Admin

http://metalife.powerrpg.net

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for handling of shield&armour Empty Re: Suggestions for handling of shield&armour

Post  Bartholomew Gallacher Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:21 am

Another indicator combined with "look at" sounds like a good idea to me.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Back to top Go down

Post  stiller Himmel Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:11 am

I agree here with Barth. Especially in Tournaments, people with hidden armor have an unfair advantage.

Making shielding etc optional via sim settings and adding a parameters for fine tuning is a good idea.
Oh yeah, i think that would be wonderful.

The alternative would be for me an extended "look at" command, that shows not only defense points, but to armor and maybe weapons, too Smile

greetings
stiller

stiller Himmel

Back to top Go down

Post  Akira.Shimada Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 am

The idea to add a symbology around the token looks to me an interesting solution.

For example surrounding the token by brackets like this [♦] would be a good indication of the presence of a shielding/blocking device.

The information is directly available, intuitive and user friendly because you don't need to hit and send a command "look at" to each opponant.

By the way I am not sure you would have time in the heat of the battle to check for shielding devices.

Akira.Shimada

Back to top Go down

Post  stiller Himmel Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am

I love Akiras idea, in addition to a armor scan like my suggestion. The first suggestion would be useful for normal combattants, the latter would be for Tournament judges and raid moderators (to ensure, nobody is cheating like barth indicated in the OP) or maybe a job for a non-fighting helper unit (that would add some tactical factor to non-fighters) who dashes around and spies before the fight begins.

The (maybe easier) alternative could be three types of brackets, each for Helm, shield and armor.

-([♦])-

--> that would be a fully armed fighter
And maybe this is the easiest way to solve that problem...which is, that people put scripts in their hair or wear armor on Gor, where it is forbidden by the priestkings.

stiller Himmel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum